Thursday 2 March 2017

Evaluation question 7

From the preliminary task to the main task, I have progressed well in many aspects. With the experience of the preliminary task acquired, my general camera and editing skills were dramatically refined. On top of this, the impact that more detailed planning and research before my shooting dates had was very significant for the progression of quality and detail in my product. Looking back at my Preliminary task, I can see multiple errors that occurred throughout.
These included:
  • The diegetic sounds specifically in the background of each shot blended poorly, and were noticeable across the piece.(0:04-0:08 in particular)
  • As some of the shots start, the actors are off cue, and don't begin acting immediately. This had not been edited out of the piece. (0:16-0:17)
  • In the first shot, the main character approaches and reaches the door. However, both the second and third shot show him still approaching the door. This means that the initial shot is too long, and should have been edited shorter. (0:03-0:08)
  • The diegetic sound in the background returns for two shots, because the door was left open. (0:12-0:17)
  • Lack of titles for the piece, as well as idents. 
When I saw my final piece once again, I noticed several improvements. These included:

  • Our transition, selection and choice of titles throughout the piece is a sign of improvement, as they are not only effective in conveying messages, but also the thriller genre.
  • the diegetic sound (1:10-1:14) is blended far more smoothly
  • by editing shots throughout well, there are no shots of actors waiting before a cue
One key thing I have learnt from the progression to the main task, was the importance of a genre when creating a product. I now understand that, without a genre, the purpose of a product can be very different to both convey to and understand for audiences. Genre in the main task was critical for conventions met in aspects of the product, where as, the preliminary product lacks clarity to the audience without any conventions of a particular genre. 

Overall the skills I have improved on include:
  • re-checking editing for sound and shot issues
  • Unlike the preliminary task, adding effective titles. I also began adjusting and changing their styles of the titles
  • using a more varied selection of shots in our final piece.








No comments:

Post a Comment